35 Operatives of the defunct SARS to be prosecuted by the Attorney General of the Federation
On Monday the 19th of October, 2020, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) submitted a list of 35 operatives of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force to the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN) for prosecution.
The list submitted to the AGF on Monday contained the names of 35 operatives earlier handed to the Police Service Commission last week for disciplinary action. The list also contains the list of operatives to be dismissed and demoted.
Mr Tony Ojukwu who is the Executive Secretary of the NHRC, said the submission of the list of the indicted officers to the AGF was in line with the mandate of the panel.
He said, “In line with the mandate of the panel, the commission is here today to submit a list to you, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister for Justice, the list of all officers who have been indicted in the report.
Mr Tony Ojukwu vouched that the erring operatives will be brought to book and disciplined as in line with the panel’s mandate.
In response to this, the Attorney-General of the Federation and the Minister for Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN) said their office would do justice to the list “through prosecution and taking associated incidental administrative steps”.